Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Supernanny scares the crap out of me...

Supernanny and Nanny 911 scare the crap out of me. Before I got pregnant, I thought that these shows were funny or that something was wrong with the parents to "allow" their children to act in that manner. With 2 little ones on the way I can just imagine how easily things can get out of control. I hope that this is not a vision into my future.

It is amazing how sleep deprivation can effect the parents in these shows. Most of these families can not get the kids to sleep alone in their own bed. Either the kids end up sleeping in the parents' bed (in the middle & sideways) or the parents end up sleeping in a twin bed. Chris and I have already decided that the kids are not sleeping in our bed. I hope that a little sleep deprivation does not get the best of us.

The funniest/saddest episode I ever saw was a family with a little boy that would not pee in the toilet. His mother would take the little boy for a walk (like a dog) and he would go in the bushes, on trees, and on fire hydrants. The mom thought that it was the cutest thing. If she wanted to take something for a walk, she should have gotten a dog.

Lord help us!

2 comments:

Alisa said...

The trick to your kids not sleeping in the bed with you??? DON'T START!!! It seems easy to say now, but, believe me, it will be so much easier at 3 am for you to put them in bed with you, and just fall back asleep. DON'T DO IT!!! We were actually really good with Tye. He very rarely slept in the bed, and only slept in the bassinet in our room for a couple of months. Kenadie was different. She cried...and cried...and cried...and cried some more. The only way I could get her to sleep (and me some sleep) was to put her in bed with me. But, inevitably, in the middle of the night, she would wake up and cry, and cry and cry some more. At six months, I said no more. We moved her upstairs...way away from me...and guess what? She immediately slept through the night, and has ever since! The truth is, it seems as though they sleep better with us, but neither the baby or the parents get sound sleep with they co-sleep. DON'T START IT!!!!!!

Katie said...

Totally agree w/ what Alisa said! DO NOT DO IT. We did it with Bryce and it was a long hard process to break him. With Bryleigh, she was in a basinet in our room. So she's always been in her own bed. It's so much easier. Take for granted I do always cuddle her and in the middle of the night when I would wake to nurse her, I just let her lay by us. Even then, after a few nights, I decided to put her in her crib.
Like Alisa, it's best all around for everyone to never even start to let them sleep in bed w/ you. We learned the hard way the first time.. hahaha