Monday, September 8, 2008

Charlie Gets Schooled

One of our biggest worries about having the twins is how Charlie would react to our new additions. He has never spent any time around kids and is not used to sharing Chris and I with anyone. Today Steve with Fidelio Dogworks came to our house to teach us (mostly me) a few techniques that will be important when the babies and guests come to the house. The first technique is how to get him to forget everything else that is going on and sit. The second technique was getting him to not bark or run at the door when someone rings or knocks. I thought that this would be virtually impossible. He surprisingly picked it up right away. It is amazing what a little can of CO2 can do to get the dog to "snap out of it" when the doorbell rings. The third technique is called "place." Charlie's "place" is different from his crate; this is where he is supposed to go when we want him to stay in his area but not have to be locked up in his crate. We still have alot of work and practice to do before the babies come home, but I feel better about the prospect. It was amazing what we accomplished in an hour. Steve is a miracle worker!


Charlie learning "Place." I was able to drop the leash and walk
away and he stayed put. AMAZING!

2 comments:

Katie said...

That's awesome! I'm glad you're doing better. :) We need to go get Hawaiin shaved ice soon.

Mary said...

Hi, I have been thinking about you. The babies arrivial date is getting closer! How are things coming together? Call me when you get a chance.